Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Remembering ( a not so wordless Wednesday)

Nan and Emilia meeting for the first time. I love the look on her face here.
Nanny & Peyton: kindred spirits. I love the way she put her hand over his. Sigh.

One year ago, my nanny-the woman in whom I confided, spent lazy summer days with, danced with and experienced life with-left this earth. Even typing those words put something likening a ball of sawdust right in my throat 365 days later. My family and I spent the nine months leading up to her passing caring for her as she had cared for all of us. She was always quick to come take over with the kids whenever I had a migraine when they were really little, quick with a phone call or a card, and even quicker to tell me to "take care of her babies" any time Wayne and I took the kids anywhere.

I miss her. I miss the smell of her house. I miss the way that I felt as I laid with my head in her lap in the glider on the back porch. I miss her voice. And right now, at this moment, I am missing the feel of her hand and how it fit in mine perfectly.


3 comments:

Nothingcanseperate said... [Reply to comment]

I'm sorry lovie. Nanny was a great lady. I'm so glad she was such a womderful nan to you and that even though she left you a year ago, she spent her life leaving her marks on yours so that she never really left, not fully.

Bridget Manley said... [Reply to comment]

I love this. It's a great tribute to an amazing woman.

Amy said... [Reply to comment]

Wow, this made me tear up. I think it's because of two things: 1. you're such a great writer and 2. My Grandmother and I were very close and she's gone as well and I miss her so much!

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary - Affordable Custom Blog Design © 2011