Saturday, December 24, 2011

Decade: a post I've dreaded for a long time

**Disclaimer: I have piecemealed (?) this post together over several days. I'm way too lazy to change the tenses for it to make sense....enjoy!!**

On Monday, my boy is turning 10. He's going ahead and doing so despite my protests. I've tried to bribe him with money, vacations (Peyton, how would you like to go search for the Loch Ness monster instead of turning 10 this year?), groundings and trickery all so that I wouldn't have to come to terms with the fact that my baby is not really a baby anymore. And, if we're all being honest, he hasn't been for quite some time. Double digits really hits that home for this momma.

The circumstances leading up to December 26, 2001 were anything but picturesque and romantic. I don't remember where I was when I first felt him move inside my womb. I didn't do the fun watch me grow pregnant pictures. I spent most of my pregnancy dreading what was ahead and hadn't given much thought to anything after that. Details are in the past, but if I fail to mention it, in my mind, it won't be understood how such a rough start turned out to be the reason for the beautiful decade that has followed it.

From the moment he was born my life had changed completely. The selfish, self-serving kid that I was had to take a backseat (and eventually leave altogether) because he deserved all of everything that I had to offer. I hadn't prepared myself to be totally and utterly smitten by this little guy:

2001-Meet Peyton Alexander Porter

Raising him has been a dream, that's not to say that there aren't days when I want to crawl under my bed and hide for a year or three, but it's been such a wondrous decade. One very vivid moment I remember from a few hours after he was born found the two of us alone for the first time ever. I was so afraid of this sweet little gift that had just been placed in my care and I whispered to him "It's just you & me, buddy". And, for ten years, he's been my buddy. I'm still as in love with him now.

In honor of Peyton's 1oth birthday I'm going to list ten (among thousands) of my favorite things that I've learned from this boy who has held my heartstring for ten blissful years.

1. Hats are always appropriate and there is always time to run back to grab one before leaving the house.
2009-Celebrating Lincoln's 200th birthday in Washington, DC.

2. Imagination is important. This is one quality that he has to this day. He creates things out of junk and I love his excitement when doing so.
2004-Using Mia's bassinet, toy goggles and my scarf to reenact Snoopy's red baron.

3. Little boys require a lot of weapons. A. LOT. Nerf guns, water guns, marshmallow shooters, slingshots...
2006-Backyard fun is not complete until someone gets it with the water gun!

4. Cookie dough was made to sampled. Often.
2011-Making cookies on a lazy Saturday.

5. The bond between a little boy & his great-great-grandmother transcends words.
2009-Nan's last Thanksgiving with us. She and Peyton had an amazing bond.
She called him her buddy. <3

6. Watermelon is a food group. :) This kid will pick watermelon over almost every other food. And, he thinks it's always in season.
2005-Kristin's college graduation menu made Peyton very happy :)

7. Sisters are annoying.
2007-This picture makes me laugh! I'm sure Peyton (or someone else was annoying her...)

8. Trucks are cool.
2003-Peyton driving his first big boy truck.

9. Dads and Paps are built-in best friends.
2010-Peyton & Wayne in Mexico on a mission trip.


2001-My dad & Peyton the day after Peyton was born.


10. Mustaches are always in style. And, who can resist a cute kid who can whip out a variety of mustaches on a moment's notice?
2011-Showing off one of his mustaches for Aunt Becky in Disney.



Then...

And 10 awesome years later...


I'm so thankful that God saw past all of my junk and allowed that little boy to be mine. He was the start of this amazing family that we have now and I'm ever grateful for everything that Wayne and I had to go through to get here...ten years later madly in love with each other and these two beautiful kids.

Signing off here, officially the mother of a 10 year old. Sigh.

Psalm 127: 3-4 "Lo, children are a heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward. As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth. "

6 comments:

Allison said... [Reply to comment]

This made me cry, Jenn. It is absolutely beautiful!! Well spoken my incredible friend

Nothingcanseperate said... [Reply to comment]

Aw lovie, I started to cry at the thumbnail picture of him on fb and progressed to sobs and snorts throughout. That was lovely. Thank you for letting me be an "aunt" to this remarkable little boy. I didn't get to meet him when he was that tiny but I feel like he, as all of you, was part of the family All along. Btw, doesn't he look old even as a newborn? Like he just knows it all already wrapped in his standard pink and blue hospital blankie.

Tracy Maine Whiteman said... [Reply to comment]

Jenn, As I read this, I thought of the young girl I worked with so many years ago, and the wonderful woman you have become, you are such an amazing mother , and this brought tears to my eyes! Your children are very fortunate to have such a home and family! God Bless you through another 10 years of raising this young boy into a respectable man!

Jenn said... [Reply to comment]

@Tracy Maine Whiteman

Tracy, you were really around for the very beginning and not so happy part of this story. I often think about our talks in the meeting room and how you just embodied compassion & grace at a time when I really needed. You also gently offered sound advice that while I didn't take right away I thought of after Wayne and I were talking again. I never thanked you for that! So, I'm thanking you now. You were just what I needed then & I am so thankful for that! Love you!!

Jenn said... [Reply to comment]

@Nothingcanseperate

Mandy-Thank you, sweet friend, for stepping in and becoming our family when I really needed it. We're in it for life :) Love you and your sweet girls so much (and yes, even Antoine. Don't tell him!) haha.

And, yes, he looks like a little old man even a mere few hours old. I'm surprised he wasn't born with a newsboy cap! Lol.

xoxo

Jenn said... [Reply to comment]

@Allison

Thanks, Alli!! Love you!!! <3

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary - Affordable Custom Blog Design © 2011